Consistent nutrient-rich & healthy food for kids and meals are essential to meet the demands of the growing bodies of teens. During adolescence, teens undergo rapid development and growth, and optimal input of both micronutrients consisting of minerals and vitamins and macronutrients having proteins, fats, and carbs are needed to support it. Further, kids can excel in athletic and academic pursuits with proper nutrition.
Several popular snacks are rich in added sugars, refined grains, and other harmful ingredients that teenagers need to avoid. However, several nutritious snacks are also available for purchase that are either easily prepared from starch or premade.
Here you can find about 40 wholesome snacks for hungry kids.
Homemade, Ready to Eat Snack
Though several homemade snacks have time-consuming recipes, a few can be easily prepared within a few minutes providing several nutrients.
These are Healthy Snack for Kids
- Nut Butter Apple Sandwiches: Sandwiches with apple and nut butter make a filling, delicious combo. Between sliced pieces of apple, teens can spread delicious nut butter to enjoy a protein and fiber-rich snack. The edges rolled in chia seeds, hemp seeds, or chopped nuts can produce an extra crunch.
- Dark Chocolate, Almond, Cashew, Cherry Trail Mix: Trail mix remains a super healthy, easy snack. You, as well as your teen, can mix crunchy almonds, dried and chewy cherries, and creamy cashews with chips of dry chocolate to make a fascinating combination. Such ingredients are very rich in minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins, highly essential for maintaining teen health.
- Hummus Jars: The primary ingredient of Hummus, a filling dip, is chickpeas. Hummus jars are made by layering a Mason jar bottom with a few scoops filled with Hummus and further filling the jar with sliced vegetables like cucumber, carrots, zucchini, and celery for making a nourishing snack.
- Cherry Tomato and Mozzarella Skewers: Teens require adequate intake of calcium for supporting the growth of bodies. However, there is a frequent shortage of calcium intake, particularly amongst teenage girls.
Skewers, made of juicy tomatoes and full cream mozzarella balls, contain calcium, protein, and fats. Further, skewers also have lycopene, which remains a powerful antioxidant with several other health benefits, and is available in tomatoes.
- Bento Boxes for Kid Snacks: Bento box comes with separate compartments, serves as a food container for containing healthy snacks separated. A Bento box can help to match and mix the favorite foods of the teens.
Bento boxes allow packing different food items that are rich in fiber, protein, and healthy fats. For instance, a bento box can pack fresh fruit, veggie sticks, boiled eggs, guacamole, and whole-grain crackers.
Make-Ahead Homemade Snacks
If you can spare a little more time, you can try a few teen-friendly recipes as follows.
- Almond Butter and Apple Overnight Oats: Teens can eat overnight oats prepared earlier right away, and it is possible to make small-sized snacks using small 118 mL or 4-ounce Mason jars. The recipe, effortless to prepare, combines wholesome ingredients such as almond butter, yogurt, and oats.
- No-Bake Chocolate Energy Bites: Teens are very fond of chocolatey snacks. Unlike several chocolate treats, such no-bake chocolate energy bites come with healthy nutrients like dates, oats, almond flour, and cashews to keep teens energized in between meals.
- Peanut Butter Jelly Chia Pudding: 1. Peanut Butter Jelly Chia Pudding: Chia seeds include protein, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, calcium, and healthy fats, which are excellent nutrients for kids. The recipe uses peanut butter, rich in cream, and wild blueberries, rich in antioxidants, along with coconut oil. Therefore, the snack is very safe for use by the kids and helps to avoid dairy.
- Cheese, Veggie, and Egg Muffins: For preparing a make-ahead snack, egg muffins remain a smart choice. The protein-packed muffins can be stored in the freezer or freeze, so that teens can reheat as and when needed.
- Copycat RXBARs: A favorite granola bar for teens, RX bars come with minimal ingredients. To save money, making it at home can be a good option.
High Protein Healthy Snack for Kids
Snacks rich with protein can keep a teen to stay full in between meals. Since such nutrients maintain optimal health and build muscles, it is suitable for teenage athletes to fulfill the need for more protein than non-athlete teenagers. A few studies indicate that owing to the increase in protein demand for development and growth, the protein needs of athletic teenagers are more than adults by 20 to 60%, in comparison to the non-athletic teenagers.
A few snacks that are rich in protein are as follows.
- Deviled Eggs: Eggs are highly rich in protein, healthy fats and also contain several minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. Deviled eggs can be a tasty way to augment the protein intake of teens. The recipe for nutritious deviled eggs uses Greek yogurt.
- Fruit, nuts, and Greek Yoghurt Parfait with Chia Seeds: Your teen and even you can make a protein-packed, tasty parfait easily, using full-fat Greek yogurt to layer a Mason jar along with chopped nuts, chia seeds, and fresh berries. Greek yogurt contains 15 grams of protein per 170-gram or 6-ounce serving.
- Tuna Cheddar Lunchbox Bites: For seafood-loving teens, tuna cheddar bites can be a perfect choice. Tuna remains a good source of omega-3 fats and high-quality absorbable protein, which are essential for the development and functioning of a teen’s brain.
- Edamame Chickpea Feta Salad: With an abundance of plant-based protein, such a tasty salad is a perfect choice for teens who love vegetarian dishes. Further, feta also packs a lot of healthy fat and calcium.
- Cranberry Apple Walnut Chicken Salad: The gratifying chicken salad comes with protein-packed chicken combined with dried cranberries, walnuts, and apples, making a perfect sweet and savory snack. When served on apple round, or with celery sticks, or with crackers, the preparation looks beautiful.
Nut-free Healthy Snacks
A few highly potent common food allergens are peanuts and nuts that are contributing to rising food allergies. A recent survey identified that around 2.2% of adolescents and children in the US remain allergic to peanuts. You can find here about a few nut-free snacks with allergies for teens.
- Roasted Chickpeas: Filled with plant-based protein, roasted, salty, and crunchy chickpeas remain a lovely nut-free snack that teens like dearly.
- Five Ingredients for Nut-free Trail Mix: Containing a mix of nutrient-rich seeds, dark chocolate, and dark fruit, the nut-free trail mix, is an excellent nut-allergy-free snack for the teens.
- Easy and Healthy Banana Oatmeal Muffins: Most muffins are packed with ingredients, such as white flour and added sugar, which is not suitable for teenage diets. Such a recipe uses nutritious ingredients like rolled oats, bananas, and whole milk Greek yogurt. The sweet taste of such snack is due to the use of bananas and some amount of maple syrup.
- Cheese, Grape, and Apple Skewers: Cubed cheese in sticks, nutritious apple chunks, green or red grapes, on wooden skewers, create an excellent teen-friendly, nutrient-dense snack, which is possible to prepare in minutes.
- Guacamole with Tortilla Chips Veggies: Avocados are rich in fiber, healthy fats, folate, potassium, and magnesium. The snack is easy to prepare for your teen and you, for making creamy guacamole, and can be idle to pair with tortilla chips and veggies.
Premade Healthy Snack
There are wholesome packaged snacks available also even though homemade snacks remain a great option.
- Trail Mix, Seeds, and Nuts: Packaged trail mix, unsalted or salted seeds, and nuts are sold by many companies. You may shop online for such products from Food to Live, Go Raw, Sahale Snacks, and 365 Everyday Value.
- Protein Bars and Granola Bars: Made with nutritious foods, granola, and protein bars can be the right choice for your teens. A few bars sweetened by fruits only, providing a good source of fiber, healthy fats, and protein, are RXBARs, Larabars, Thunderbird Real Food Bars. Further, a few bars containing added sugar lower than 6 grams per bar are Autumn’s Gold Granola Bars, Health Warrior Chia Bars, Purely Elizabeth Granola Bars.
- Cheese Sticks: Healthy fats are essential in the diets of teens. Whole milk cheese is rich in protein, calcium, as well as, healthy fats, and other minerals, like selenium, and zinc, supporting immune health. Organic Valley and Tillamook, are two companies making excellent cheese sticks idle for snacking.
- Healthy Chips: Although being delicious for teens, chips mostly do not provide healthy nutrients. Still, a few packed flavored chips come with colorful veggies claiming to have more fiber than regular chips. You can shop online for Made in Nature Veggie Pops or Brad’s Veggie Chips.
- Turkey Sticks: Turkey sticks prepared with ground turkey is an excellent alternative for providing a portable, convenient protein source. You can shop for the packaged snack online at Paleovalley or Chomps.
- Dried Fruit: Dried fruits can be a tasty sweet snack to enjoy. You can even pair with some seeds and nuts if you want something to fill your stomach adequately. Many companies are selling unsweetened products made of dried fruits. You can shop online for Good & Gather, Fruit Bliss, and Steve’s PaleoGoods dried fruit.
- Premade Energy Bites: A few companies produce premade energy bites packed with adequate levels of nutrients such as coconut, oats, nuts, and dried fruit. You can shop online for Navitas, Kate’s Real Food, or Nomz energy bites.
- Nut Butters: For teens, nut butter packets remain a high-quality snack. Such snacks are easy to spread on veggies, dark chocolate, or fruits or, you can enjoy as it is.
For teens, nut butter packets remain a high-quality snack. Such snacks are easy to spread on veggies, dark chocolate, or fruits or, you can enjoy as it is.
- Avocado and Chicken Salad: The recipe of such a snack combines avocado and rotisserie chicken to produce a delicious combo idle for serving on sprouted grain bread, or crackers, or alone.
- Open-faced Banana and Nut Butter Sandwich: The recipe combines peanut, almond, or cashew butter spread on nutritious sliced bread such as Ezekiel bread, and further, topping it with little honey and a sliced banana.
- Veggie Frittata: The veggie frittata is easy to slice, and a protein-packed snack, excellent to enjoy or is idle for a meal. The snack comes with a customizable recipe that makes it easy to use the favorite ingredients of a teen
- Stuffed Sweet Potato: Sweet potatoes are rich in fiber, protein, provitamin A, potassium, and vitamin C. The stuffed sweet potato, made by stuffing a small-sized sweet roasted potato with healthy ingredients like chicken, baked veggies, avocado, or beans, creates an appealing mini-meal.
- Whole Grain Quesadilla: Easy to fill with cheese and roasted veggies, whole grain tortilla, rich in nutrients, can be excellent for a delicious quesadilla.
- Quinoa Salad Jar: The recipe for such a snack uses cooked quinoa with cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, and tomatoes. Top the snack with a protein source such as grilled chicken, shrimp, tofu, beans or salmon, to make a more fulfilling mini-meal.
- Charcuterie Box: Create a fulfilling snack, with preferred fresh fruit, cheese, hummus, veggies, meats, nuts, and hummus using a bento box.
Many premade and store-bought smoothies are rich in added sugar. However, a few smoothies come with nutrient-dense ingredients and can be easily stirred in a mixture.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Date Smoothie: The smoothie recipe, boasting a delicious peanut butter having a jelly taste, comes without added sugar. Dates used sweetens the snack naturally, and the snack
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie: Apart from offering a delectable chocolate taste, the smoothie is loaded with nutrient-dense cottage cheese and sweetens the snack with fruit only.
- Green Smoothie: If your teen is not fond of veggies, the smoothies can be a perfect replacement for a healthy diet. The snack comes with a fruity taste from strawberries, bananas, and orange and contains a lot of healthy spinach.
- Berry Avocado Smoothie: The smoothie is a top-quality nutritional beverage and combines sweet berries and creamy avocado. Further, you can add nut butter or Greek yogurt, thus raising the protein content of the smoothie effortlessly.
- Apple Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothie: The fulfilling smoothie combines cinnamon, and apple making a preferred combo. You can further a proper portion of protein powder, making it a healthier diet.
Proper nutrition is essential for teenagers to meet the demand of growing bodies. Teens need to focus on taking snacks that are nutrient-rich and provide micro and macronutrients needed for optimal health. The above-listed recipes are idle to try if you do not have ideas for a nutritious healthy snack for kids. Further, you can buy nutrient-rich packaged foods to meet the demand of growing bodies of your kids.